This project can be described as aggregating IoT time series data and creating Candlestick visualizations using that data.

The main open technologies and standards used in this project are the HTTP protocol for communication and the Open API specification (www.openapis.org) to make it possible for others to make use of the project in a standard way.

The applicability of the Candlestick visualizations could serve many industries by making what could possibly be bad\missing observations in the IoT data more precisely and clearly discernible over other commonly available JavaScript based line charts.

Another use could be for creating data exploration and visualization applications running directly on a gateway device using something like Kweb for the Raspberry PI. The applications could be very light weight and not impact the normal gateway duties by not needing to use any JavaScript at all which can cause a negative impact even on the largest PI model currently available. Other application developers could create more specialized applications tuned to different devices using the Open API specification.

Finally a third use would be inserting data visualizations into blog posts, forum boards and social media messages where using any JavaScript at all is not possible. The visualizations would also be rendered with the latest available IoT data at the time it is viewed and also each time the post or message is reloaded an updated chart would automatically be rendered then shown.

One of the lessons I learned is that working with IoT data can be difficult. You always have to keep checking for bad data and how to handle it depending on where the bad data is found. With the many different ways IoT solutions can choose to structure their data this can be made even more difficult.

The communication protocol used by this project had been changed from the original CoAP to HTTP. I still believe that was a good decision and should make the project more accessible to a larger audience by using a protocol they probably already use daily. All of the objectives stated in the project proposal have been achieved (taking into consideration the change from CoAP to HTTP).

Instead of making a video of the project, I have decided to make the service available live for any one who would like to try it out. In the blog posts below I have tried to explain exactly how that can be done as simply and concise as possible.